Ah, the humble potato – a true kitchen delight! I find myself wanting to incorporate it into every culinary creation, from hearty soups to delectable mains and even the sweetest cakes. As a side dish, potatoes have always been a trusty companion to many of my family’s favourite meals. But let’s face it, they can become a tad boring. That’s where this twist comes in – the addition of kale. Suddenly, the texture, taste, and colour of this dish undergo a delightful transformation! It’s astonishingly simple to prepare and this potato and kale side dish pairs beautifully with just about anything, whether it’s a succulent meat dish or a fresh catch from the sea.
As soon as plain, cooked potatoes meet the aromatic embrace of garlic and onion, culinary magic unfolds. It’s remarkable how the simplest ingredients can elevate a dish to an entirely new level of flavour and satisfaction. And when you introduce the vibrant addition of kale, this humble side dish transforms from a plain carbohydrate into a wholesome, nutrient-packed delight. But the charm doesn’t end there – i added cheese for a touch of richness. However, for those embracing a vegan lifestyle, this recipe can shine just as brilliantly without the cheese.
Kale potato side dish
Kale potato verde side dish
- 3 large potatoes
- 250 g kale
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tbsp Cheddar cheese - or similar
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Wash the kale and cut the leaves into smaller pieces.
- Boil them together in salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain. Set the potatoes aside.
- In olive oil, sauté finely chopped onion for 3 minutes. Add cooked kale and saute for extra 3 minutes. Add garlic, half of the parsley, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Once done, transfer to a blender and blend together with a bit more olive oil (1-2 tablespoons), grated Parmesan, and a few tablespoons of water.
- Place the cooked potatoes in a serving bowl. Pour the kale mixture over cooked potato, season with pepper, add the remaining finely chopped parsley, and grated cheese according to your preference.