Simple French-Canadian side dish consisting of fries, cheese and delicious gravy. There are many variations of this dish, from simple gravy without meat to sauces with various meat and vegetables. I couldn’t find cheese curd so i prepared with Comte cheese.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup cheese curd ( but you can try it with standard cheese of your choice)
- salt, pepper
- Roast juices leftovers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp butter
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp flour
It is best when prepared with leftover juices from Sunday roast, but for a quick recipe you can use beef cube or ready made beef stock.You can make your own fries by boiling potato first and then oven bake it, or deep fry it. Instead of making your own fries, you can use premade oven baked chips.
1. Pour roast fat into a deep pan and add chopped onion. For those who don’t have leftovers just fry onion in some oil mixed with butter. Onion should be fried together with sugar for 10 minutes so it gets caramelised and golden in colour.
2. Now add flour and fry for another 2 minutes. Then pour red wine. Add vinegar, butter, mustard and seasoning. (If using beef cube or stock add it now)
3. Cook until liquid evaporates little bit and sauce becomes thicker. Remove from the heat.
4. Add grated cheese or cheese curd over hot potatos and pour hot gravy over cheese. Add little bit extra grated cheese on top.
5. Serve as a starter, snack or even main meal. If serving as mains, then add some vegetables to your gravy, for example carrots or courgettes.