Delicious fragrant lentil, excellent accompaniment to various roasts and meat or you can serve it as a vegetarian main meal or a soup.
- 1 1/2 cup yellow lentil
- 1 onion
- 3-4 garlic
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 Tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or fresh ginger)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 250 chopped tomato
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree (tomato concentrate)
- a few Tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper
1. In a medium size pot, fry onion together with half of the parsley, half coriander, garlic and spices: cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, cumin and ginger. Fry for about 2 minutes.
2. Add about 1 litre of water and rinsed lentil. Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
3. After 20 minutes add chopped tomato and honey.
4. If it becomes too thick add some more water or if it’s too thin cook until liquid evaporates.
5. In the last 2-3 minutes of cooking add the rest of fresh parsley and coriander and mix well.
6. You can make it thin if you want to serve it as a soup or very thick if served as a side dish.
Excellent with Moroccan meatballs or serve it with a warm homemade bread of your choice.