These are super soft and tasty dough fritters, easy to prepare and quick to make. Don't add salt because feta cheese is salty enough. Listed ingredients are enough for 10 fritters.
1. In a large bowl add flour, crumbled feta cheese, yogurt and baking powder. Mix it with fork first then continue kneading by hand, don't use electric mixer. Dough has to be very soft. Leave it covered to rest for about 15-20 min.
2. In a deep pan heat oil. Take small part of dough about 5cm roll it between hands and then flatten it in a disk shape, stretch it very thin almost see through, it doesn't matter if it breaks in the middle, if you get a small hole here and there, it will be more rustic looking.
3. As soon as you stretch it add to hot oil and fry no longer than 20 seconds each side. Dough has to get soft gold colour, it must not get dark. When fried, place it on a plate covered with paper towel to absorb some oil. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Add extra oil if needed, but never put dough in a cold or not enough hot oil , wait to become very hot before adding dough
4. Serve it with some good quality unfiltered extra virgin olive oil mixed with little bit of balsamic vinegar, yummy!
- 2.5 cups plain white flour
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup olive oil