For all sauerkraut lovers (like myself) here is the tastiest sandwich ever! I usually make it with the leftovers when i make oven baked sauerkraut, pork and potatoes, another German classic, also popular across Central and Eastern Europe.
- 250g Sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta or smoked bacon
- 2 Bratwurst sausages (or any of your choice)
- 2 onions
- white wine 100ml
- water 200ml
- 2-3 garlic
- fennel seeds (crushed or powdered)
- salt, pepper
- sunflower oil
1. In a deep pan add oil and fry finely chopped pancetta or bacon together with one chopped onion for about 4-5 minutes. Then add garlic and fry for another minute.
2. Add drained sauerkraut and fry for 3-4 minutes stirring, then add white wine, water, pepper and fennel seeds.Mix well and leave to cook for 10-15 minutes until sauerkraut softens and liquid evaporates. It is the best if sauerkraut gets darker colour, but be careful not to burn it.
3. In a separate pan add some oil and fry onion slices together with Bratwurst. Sprinkle onions with sugar. If you don’t want to fry sausages, you can grill them. Fry onions for at least 7 minutes, they need to be caramelised.
4. Cut your panini or mini baguette in half and spread some mustard on each side, then add a good amount of sauerkraut covered with fried onion slices and sausage on top and cover with little bit more of sauerkraut. Enjoy!