Börek/burek/brik/byurek is a filo type pastry filled with vegetables, meat, cheese or fruit. Thought to be from the Turkey region, invented in early era of Ottoman Empire. Today it is one of the most popular dishes in Turkey as well as in other countries of the former Ottoman Empire such as North African countries, Balkan and parts of Middle East.
The best known savory boureks are made with mixed minced meat, beef and lamb or with cheese or green leafy vegetables mixed with cheese. The most popular sweet version is with apples. There are so many variations and every country has their own speciality.
Of course the best and most authentic bourek is the one with a home made dough. For a quick and easy preparation you can buy ready made but this is nowhere near to the real thing!
There are so many ways how to prepare the dough and ways of filling and folding, so for now i will skip this part ( you can read about it in my other recipe yet to be posted), this recipe is very simple and quick. I used ready made filo pastry.I was very happy with the result. It is delicious on its own as a quick lunch served with a soup of your choice ( excellent with tomato soup!) or snack.
1. Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces and boil for about 15 minutes in salted water until soft. Drain.
2. In a deep pan add some oil and fry onions for about 7 minutes, then add boiled potatoes, black pepper, mix well and fry for about 1-2 minutes then set aside.
3. Grease a medium size oven tray and add two sheets of pastry, spread some melted butter between each sheet and on top.
4. Add half of potato mixture, spread evenly then cover with another sheet of pastry, add butter and another sheet of pastry and spread again some butter then add the rest of the potato mixture.
5. Cover with the last 2-3 sheets of pastry. make sure you spread melted butter all over sheets.
6. Mix sour cream and egg and pour on the top, spread the mixture evenly.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 25 minutes.
Can be served hot or cold.
- 1 packet filo pastry
- 3 potatoes
- 1 onion ( large)
- 30g – 50g butter
- sunflower oil
- salt, black pepper
- 150ml – 200ml sour cream
- 1 egg