I wanted to make some exotic style chicken and after browsing some recipes online i came across Jamaican jerk chicken, i heard about this dish but never made it before . It is chicken marinated in a special mix of spices and grilled or BBQ’d. I used chicken legs but you can use mixed chicken meat or just plain breast meat. Dark meat gives better flavour. I didn’t grill it, thought it would be too dry so i cooked it together with the marinade. It came out delicious and i think it is so much better with sauce!
1. In a bowl, combine allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice. Add chopped onion and mix well.
2. Now add chicken pieces, spread the marinade making sure chicken is completely covered. Leave to marinade for 1-3 hours.
3. In a deep pan fry diced red pepper together with chopped onion for 3 minutes. Add chicken and fry for 3 minutes, until it gets golden colour, then add garlic, fry for another minute and at the end add the marinade sauce.
4. Fry on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until cooked, check by piercing the meat with a fork, (if clear liquid comes out it is done, if still pink or bloody, leave it to cook for another few minutes), turning chicken pieces occasionally.
5. In the last 5 min add parsley, mango and pineapple.
Marinated chicken can be cooked in the oven or grilled on BBQ. I made mine with sauce and served with coconut rice and peas. Just cook rice in water, add some thyme, salt, pepper, garlic paste and coconut milk. In the last 5 minutes of cooking add peas.
- 2 chicken thighs/legs or breasts
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, chopped
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic
- olive oil
- 1 slice of pineapple
- 3-4 pieces of mango
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tbs. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. Sugar
- 1/3 cup Olive oil
- 3 Tbs cup Soy sauce
- 3 Tbs White vinegar
- 1/3 cup Orange juice
- Juice of 1 lime