Popular Malaysian side dish, originally prepared with kangkong or Chinese (water) spinach. I couldn't find it in a supermarket so i prepared with a plain spinach. It was delish! Instead of spinach it would also work with chard, kale, cavolo nero. Give it a try!
1. Steam or cook spinach for 2-3 minutes. Drain all water and cut into small pieces or leave as it is. I used frozen spinach which was finely chopped.
2. In a deep pan add some oil and fry spring onion, shrimp paste (or mashed anchovy), finely chopped chilly pepper for about 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and peanut (If you use whole peanuts make sue you finely chop it), chilli flakes, sugar, salt and fry for additional 2 minutes.
3. Now add spinach and mix well.
4. Drizzle with lemon juice and serve hot or cold.
- 400g spinach
- 1 spring onion
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp mildchilli pepper (or bell pepper)
- 2 tsp peanut butter or 2 Tbsp roasted peanut
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp anchovies or a few drops of fish sauce
- 1 lemon ( juice)