I made this for the first time about 2 years ago. I was searching for some yummy Korean recipes and came across Maangchi website packed with so many tasty Korean recipes! This dessert is a real treat and it was easy to make! Totally recommend!
1. In a large bowl add warm water , yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Mix well. Slowly add flour and mix with a fork until you get soft sticky dough. Cover with cling film or foil and leave it somewhere warm to rise for about 45 minutes.
2. After 45 min the dough should double in size, now slowly with a wooden spoon stir all around so you knock all the bubbles in the dough.
Leave it for 10 minutes to rest
3. Transfer dough on a floured surface
4. Now slowly shape the dough into a round ball, Cut in half, then cut in half again and agin so you get 8 small chunks of dough.
5. Shape the chunks into balls and then flatten to a round shape about 1.5cm thick. Add spoon of sugar filling.
6. Now drag the ends of the dough towards the middle to completely cover and seal the filling and shape it into a ball. Be very careful with the dough because it is very soft.
7. Heat the oil in the frying pan on a medium heat.
Carefully place the dough ball in the pan with the seal facing down.
8. After 1 minute, when the bottom side turns yellow, turn the pancake , press it with a spatula and fry for another 1-2 minutes, then reduce the heat and turn the pancake again and fry for another minute and turn again and another minute. This will ensure the sugar melts into a lovely caramel. Make sure you don't fry them less than time stated as the sugar won’t melt and this is the point of this lovely dessert
9. Important:You need to use brown sugar. Just look at this caramel fill!
Leave the pancakes to cool down for 10-15 minutes as the filling will be very very very hot!
- 2 cups – flour
- 1 cup (200ml) – warm water
- 2 tsp – yeast
- 2 tbsp – caster (white) sugar
- 1/2 tsp – salt
- 1 tbsp – oil
- 50g – brown sugar
- 2 tbs – finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp – cinnamon
From these ingredients you will get 8 pancakes, 10-12cm in diameter. Of course if you think this is not enough for your family or friends you can double the amount!