Sometimes i get bored with pumpkin soup for Halloween, this is a great alternative if you want to prepare themed menu for kids or adults. I got the idea from this recipe, but i added some extra ingredients and changed seasoning for better taste. It was yummy! You can add potato or a cream if you like rich flavours.
Put bacon rashers on a baking tray and under grill or in the oven for 10 minutes at about 200 C. Make sure you turn it half way through grilling. When done leave it to dry on a paper kitchen towel, it needs to be crispy.
- Fry onions for about 2-3 minutes, add garlic and fry for another 30 seconds
- Add broccoli in florets, pour 400ml water with dissolved chicken cube. Cook for 10 minutes
- Add 2/3 peas and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, leave it to cool slightly and then put in a blender for a few seconds
- Return soup to the pot. If you find it too thick you can add extra water.
- Add butter to a frying pan and fry bacon or pancetta for 3-4 minutes, then add to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes for falvours to combine.
- At the end add parsley and coriander, black pepper and the rest of the peas.
- Serve in a soup bowl and garnish with crispy flakes of bacon, excellent with a freshly baked bread.
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 cup smoked bacon or pancetta
- 1-2 streaky bacon rashers
- 1 garlic
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp butter