Ayam masak merah literally means red-cooked chicken. Popular Malaysian dish. I served it with Malaysian bread Roti Jala, which is a type of pancake. What a great combination! Recommend to all chilli lovers and everyone who likes very spicy food. Of course you can prepare this dish with a small amount of chilli peppers.
1. Cut chicken breast into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add turmeric and salt and mix well. In a deep pan add some oil then fry meat in two-three batches. Fry for couple of minutes. Drain and place on a plate, cover with foil to keep warm.
2. Place all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend into a fine paste. Original recipe calls for 10 chilli peppers, i love hot food but 10 peppers is too much for me, but you can add as many as you want
3. In a separate pan add some oil and fry spices for about 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the fine paste and mix well. Fry for additional 2-3 minutes.
4. Now add chopped tomato and coconut milk and cook on a higher temperature for about 5 minutes without a lid.Then add chicken pieces and mix. reduce temperature to medium heat and cook until sauce thickens, for about 20 minutes.
Roti Jala (net bread, pancakes)
1. This was my first take on the bread so it didn't come out perfect, but it was very tasty! Batter is similar to plain pancakes. From the listed ingredients i got 7 pancakes, if you want more make sure you double the amount of ingredients!
2. To make a perfect Roti Jala you might need a special container/bottle for pouring and it looks like this. I couldn't find anything similar so i was pouring batter into a pan using a ladle. You can also make this as normal pancakes.
3. Pour some batter into a pan with a tiny amount of hot oil. Fry for a few seconds then fold in half, and then again in half so you get a quarter shape. Then turn on the other side and fry for a few more seconds.
4. Serve warm with the chicken sauce.
- 400g chicken breast
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 red onion
- 3-4 dry chilli pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ginger paste or 1 piece of fresh ginger (2-3cm)
- 2 garlic
- 1 star anis
- 2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tsp cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 400g chopped tomato
- 200ml coconut milk
- coriander leaves
- shallot or spring onion
Roti Jala pancakes (bread):
- 1 cup of plain white flour
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 Tsp turmeric
- 1 egg