If you want something special for your Boxing Day ham here is the recipe for perfect chutney. Easy to make and will keep in a fridge for a long time.
1. Heat the oil in a a deep frying pan, add chopped onion and fry until yellow.
2. Add tomato and stir.
3. Add vinegar, honey, bay leaves, tomato puree, 1 cup of water and stir well.
4. Cook on a low heat for about 45 minutes until thick.
5. While the chutney is still hot, pour into sterilized jar ( previously boiled in hot water for a few minutes), pour 1 tbs of oil on top and close the lid tightly. When cold, store in the fridge and leave it to “ripen” for 2-3 weeks.
- 2 – red onion
- 500g – chopped tomato
- 100ml – mix of malt, balzamic and sherry vinegar
- 1 cup – brown sugar
- 1 tsp – salt
- 1 tsp – honey
- 2 – bay leaves
- 2 tsp – freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 tsp – tomato puree