Moussaka is a popular Mediterranean dish, also traditional in some cuisines of the Middle East and Central or Eastern Europe. It mainly consists of aubergines and/or potato and minced meat. My mother used to prepare without aubergines and would mix the meat with rice and this is how i remember moussaka from my childhood. Here is my own version of this lovely dish.
- heat oil and butter in a pan and add onions and pancetta, fry about 1 minute and then add garlic and fry another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Put minced meat in a large bowl, add fried onion, garlic and pancetta, 1 egg and herbs thyme and rosemary, paprika, beef stock, salt and pepper.
- Beef cupe should be dissolved in about 50 ml hot water, leave it to cool down a bit and then add to the meat. Mix it very well.
- Cut the veg in small pieces, you can peel the aubergine skin if you prefer without. I personally like it without as it can be very tough.
- Add some oil into the pan and fry onions for 1 minute, add vegetables and fry about 2-3 minutes. Add tomato and sugar.
- Stew until it becomes thick and water evaporise, about 5-7 minutes. At the end add fresly chopped parsley.
- Boil potato in salt water for 25 minutes.
- Leave it to cool little bit and then peel the skin. Cut thin slices. Please note potato doesn’t have to be completely cooked as it will continue to cook while in the oven.
- Grease the casserole dish and lay potato slices as the first layer. Cover with thicklayer of meat and then place another layer of potato slices on top. Then add vegetables and cover with the last layer of potato slices.
- Mix egg with sour cream and add some salt and pour over mussaka. Cover with foil and place in the preheated oven at 200 C for 1 hour.
- 10 minutes before the end of cooking, remove the foil and return moussaka to the oven.
- Leave it to rest for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Instead of sour cream and egg, you can make a horseradish sauce. Add about 50-60ml oil to the frying pan, add 1-2 spoon of flour and fry it for about 1 minute. Slowly add milk, not all at once while stirring, the flour will thicken in milk, it needs to be smooth and slightly thick. Now add horseradish, you can use fresh grated one or a jar from supermarket. Continue to stir for another 3-5 minutes, if it becomes too thick add some milk. At the end add salt and pepper to taste and remove from the heat. Pour over moussaka and cover with a foil. Place in the preheated oven.
- 300g minced beef
- 200g minced pork
- 3-4 large potato
- 1 onion
- 25g butter
- 50ml oil
- 1 garlic
- 2-3 spoons of diced pancetta
- 1 beef cube stock
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbs rosemary
- 1 courgette
- 1/2 aubergine
- 1 tsp paprika
- 200g chopped tomato (can)
- 1/2 onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tbs chopped parsley
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
Horseradish sauce (option 1)
- 3 tbsp freshly grated horseradish or from a jar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml milk
- 1-2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- 200ml Sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt