Classic French recipe from the book French Vegetarian Cooking. Pasta is included in the original recipe, but as i always fiddle with the original recipes and change it according to my own taste i replaced pasta with semolina gnocchi. Quick and easy to make.
I always add some sausages or hot-dogs! Try it with and without meat! Delicious!
1. In a pot heat oil and add chopped onion, fry until translucent.
2. Add sliced carrot and runner beans cut in 1″ pieces and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
(if you are making meat version then add sliced sausages at this stage and fry together with carrots.)Add garlic and fry another 30 seconds.
3. Add tomato, tomato paste, sugar, stock powder and herbs, salt and pepper to taste, water and stir well. Simmer on medium heat for about 20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes add courgettes cut in small pieces.
Version with pasta
Now add pasta. If you are using large pasta add just a little bit as it will be too thick once the paste expands in water.The best is to use linguini or very thin spaghetti cut in small pieces.
Version with gnocchi
In a cup mix egg with semolina until smooth, add oil, veg powder, and thyme.
With a teaspoon add semolina paste to the soup while it is still cooking. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
At the end of cooking leave the soup to rest for about 15 minutes and then serve.
Sauce ( as shown on the main photo)
- Boil egg for exactly 3.5 minutes, you need a soft boiled egg. Separate white from the yolk. White should be firm and yolk still runny.
- Whisk the yolk with little bit of salt and vinegar, then slowly add oil, just like for mayonnaise.
- Then mix in cream and continue to stir with a fork.
- Add finely chopped egg white, chopped parsley and basil and season with lots of black pepper. Stir well.
- Pour 2-3 teaspoons of sauce over soup.
You can also garnish with some croutons and hard grated cheese.
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 250g chopped tomatoes
- 1 courgette
- 1 large carrot
- 100g runner beans
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- chopped parsley
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp hard cheese – grated
- 1 veg stock cube or powder
- black pepper
- 2 good quality italian sausages or 2 german hot dog sausages, cut in small pieces ( (MEAT VERSION)
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp oil
- salt/ pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 80ml butter
- 3 tsp double cream
- 2-3 leaves basil