1. In a small cup mix yeast with warm water and 1/2 tsp of sugar
2. Add one egg in a large bowl and beat well then add coconut milk, sugar and oil, mix well
3. In a different bowl add 2 cups of flour and cinnamon. Make a well in the middle and add yeast mixture and slowly add egg mixture while stirring with a fork. When it becomes thick start kneading, you will need to knead for a about 10 minutes. Add more flour (additional cup) if the mixture is too sticky. Add gradually. The dough has to be smooth and elastic.
4. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
5. Roll the dough about half inch thick and cut it in round or triangle shapes.Or you can just pinch a small amount of dough roll it into a ball between hands and then flatten.
6. Heat the oil in a deep pan and when hot fry mandazi until golden brown.
Recipe found at kadiafricanrecipes.com
- 3 cups All- Purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Oil for deep frying